5 Reasons Fall is the Perfect Time for a Family Portrait!
And why you should stop putting it off!
Fall is such a wonderful time of year. First, school starts back - every parent's reminder of just how fast their kids are growing up. Then there's the excitement of "friday night lights". I can just imagine sitting in the stands, freezing under a blanked cheering on my team! And no matter how hard you try to delay it, there's that little tingle of anticipation for the holiday season!
Fall is also the perfect time of year for family pictures. "Why?" you ask. Well let me tell you. Here are my...
5 Top Reasons Fall is the Perfect Time for a Family Portrait!
1. The weather. It's cooler. You won't have to sweat. Your kids won't be a huge wet mess in the first 5 minutes! If you're including older family members, you won't have to worry so much about heat exhaustion. And let's face it... it's more pleasant for your photographer too!
2. You have more clothing options. In the summer, nobody wants to wear more than shorts and a t-shirt. And in July and August - that might be considered "dressing up". But in the fall you can wear jeans, and long sleeves, or even consider really dressing up. You might even get away with layering, or accessories. Hats, scarves, and light jackets are actually options!
3. You're still rocking that summer tan! After months of being outside and floating the river, you've got some nice color going on. But next spring you'll be back to being "white as a ghost", so fall is a better choice because of that golden glow.
4. Fall clothing colors are the best choice for a portrait. In the spring, we all want to wear bright colors and busy patterns. But these tend to be distracting, and make a photograph busy and cluttered. However, the earthy tones of fall clothing look great on almost anyone, and the colors go well with most any home decorating style. From contemporary to traditional, your portrait is going to look amazing in your home today, and 20 years from now!
5. Family photos make great holiday gifts. We all have parents who have everything under the sun. They don't need (or want) another toaster, or television, or ugly Christmas sweater. But there's not a grandparent on the planet that wouldn't treasure a new photograph of their children and grandchildren. Family is everything to them. Not only will they treasure that photograph, but they'll probably show it to every person that comes to visit. A 'trophy” if you will, of how proud they are of the people they love most.
Don't keep putting your family portrait off.
So many families delay getting a family portrait made because, well... life happens! The next thing you know, your kids have grown and you wonder where the time has gone. Right now - this is the only chance you have to capture a portrait of your family just as it is today. And though they don't realize it now, image how much your kids will one day treasure a portrait that includes the entire family - even Mom!
In this “instant gratification” world of technology, give them the gift of a beautiful heirloom portrait that can be passed down for many generations to come.
So you've convinced yourself. This is THE year you are going to have a a new family portrait. Nothing is going to stop you!
There's only one problem. Now you have to convince Dad and the kids! You can already imagine the deep eye rolls and the long, loud, deep sighs when you break the news to them.
But don't let this discourage you.
I'm here to help!
You probably only have a family portrait made every now and then. But I do it every day.
Over the years, I've learned a lot of tricks for getting Dad and the kids on board. And YES, they'll work with your family too!
We recently had a client in for a portrait and the mom told me directly,
"My husband is NOT going to want to do this. He's going to agree to it because I make him, but he is not going to be happy."
I walked her through the same information I'm sharing with you, and you know what, after the photo shoot, Dad came up to me, shook my hand, looked me square in the eye and said, "Thank you. This was a lot of fun."
So, yes, this will work for your family too. This is top secret information. Most photographers I talk to haven't even figured this out.
But I want to share it with you, so I created...
For more information on our Family Portraits...